I have to confess to you that this past weekend was not the wonderful weekend I had wanted. The upped chemo doses are bringing on some of the side effects I had been able to avoid up until now. How fitting they should hit the exact weekend I concluded that book on gratitude. Hmmm. Bad timing? I think not.
Like Saturday’s test siren, this is a test for me, too. Will I whine or will I dine at the thanksgiving table?
I will choose curtain B. Behind curtain B is…gratitude! That’s right, folks. Step up a bit closer and get the full effect of thankfulness even in the midst of the icky-ews.
I am thankful for:
1. Fresh water and green tea
2. Zofran (anti-nausea meds)
3. Air conditioning and permission to set the thermostat lower at night (I need to be chilly)
4. Good naps
5. Beans, my co-nap taker dachshund (she sleeps atop my hip if I’m on the sofa)
6. Dinners from others and Zaxby’s around the corner
7. Paper towels, toilet tissue, and facial tissue
8. Reading glasses
9. Flowers from my parents (some type of pink blooming succulent)
10. The Ward men (who are being very patient with me)
That may seem like an odd assortment of thankful shout outs, but over the course of this weekend, these are the stand outs that deserve shout outs.
Take that icky-ews! You may have wanted me to succumb to self-pity, but no! Today, I choose gratitude.